Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Curly girl.

Ok, I have had a few people ask how to see what others are searching for to get to your blog. I know you're dying to figure out what pervy/strange phrases are directing people to your site! It's a blast.

If you have Blogger, go into your Dashboard. You'll see one of the tabs says "Stats." Click on that. Then click on the link for "Traffic Sources." Scroll down and there they'll be!

Now, an outfit picture:


I know what you're thinking. The yellow shirt AGAIN? Yes, again. But the good news is, I have six outfits left in the 30 for 30 challenge and it won't be included in any of them. I do love it with these purple shoes, though! Gap does me so right.

Also, I heard that Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, has been getting some flack for wearing repeat outfits. Um, seriously? Who decided that this even matters? She's gorgeous and I love her modest, flattering style. And she's a freaking duchess. Last I checked, that means she can wear the same thing every day if she wants.

I have curly hair. (See above.) It hasn't always been this way, though. It was basically stick-straight until about fifth grade, at which point it suddenly became wiry and uncooperative. You should also know I had bangs at this time. Combine these small details with the amazing dexterity that 10-year-olds are known for and you have a recipe for some awesomely bad hair.

My mom always got so frustrated with me in the mornings. I'd come downstairs for family scripture study and she'd take one look at me and say, "You didn't even fix your hair!" Then, I'd burst into pre-adolescent tears and insist I had just spent an entire hour desperately trying to get my previously easy hair to simply lay flat, even manipulating it with a round brush and blow drier (which is super-hard when you're 10). "I swear, Mom! Something is WRONG with my hair!" I'd say. She didn't believe me until I was about 13 and it suddenly turned into this:


(I can't get over the fact that was once my natural hair color.)

Something was definitely happening -- it's called puberty. Who knew, right? "Hair may suddenly become unmanageable and you will begin to resemble a cavewoman" was NOT mentioned in the weird-o puberty video they showed us in school. All I remember was a breakfast entree that had an uncanny resemblance to the female reproductive system. (Please tell me you were also privileged enough to view that film.)

Anyway, I've had curly hair ever since. At times, I have embraced it. Other times, I have cursed it and tried to straighten it into oblivion. But I've come to the conclusion that it's my crazy curly hair and it's here to stay! And you know, as much of a pain as it is to fix, it holds a style very well.

Question of the Day:
What's your hair like? Curly, straight, wavy, red, brunette, purple, blond? Do you love it or fight it?

16 comments:

  1. I wrote a guest post once on my curly hair! http://becominglovely.blogspot.com/2010/08/lesson-learned-emily-love-curl.html

    Also, Jenna, in high school, your hair was my inspiration for learning to use a curling iron. Just thought you should know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are gorgeous Jenna!

    I am a brunette with natural wavy hair. My hair cooperates very well. I can get it to do whatever I want. It's a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair! Mine is bone strait so I have a hard time with volume and my hair holding a curl but whenever I start feeling bad about my hair, I start feeling much better after I go to wal-mart and see the worker who is balding and is a woman (I think...). It could be much worse I guess than not holding a curl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From 5th grade on I couldn't think of pancakes in the same way ever again...


    I've embraced my (finally) brunette hair--in high school I highlighted it because it was a really blah sort of brown, but then it got too blonde and I vowed never to chemically process my hair again. Too much upkeep. But now I really like my dark hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Straight as uncooked spaghetti noodles and lightish brown. I've always thought of myself as blonde so it's hard to say I have brown hair. Oh, and it's super thin which is why I will never grow it out. It's fairly easy to manage as long as I don't want to do anything special to it, like tease because it's flat an hour later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hair has gotten curlier as I've gotten older. And I've realized that now it takes MUCH less time and looks better when I style it curly than when I try to straighten it, so I've definitely embraced my curly hair - especially in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jessica, that is true!

    @Elise, I didn't realize you lightened your hair in high school. It always looked very natural to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are so cute! love your curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who could forget the pancake uterus! (Sorry, should I tone down my comments?) Ahhh, the awkward puberty videos. And I have straight hair that is quite manageable. I had some natural wave to my hair for about a year, but then it stopped. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Popped in from SITS! My hair is naturally blond and wavy. When I try to straighten it, it simply goes back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @The Blonde Duck, you have such a beautiful hair color!

    @ACW: No need to tone down comments here! We regularly talk about lady parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need to post a picture of your almost twin sister Mariah's hair! The blonde comes from Granny, the red comes from me, and the curly comes from me and Dad! For me personally, I'm glad I have wavy hair and on occasions I'm indeed grateful for a wonderful CHI flat iron.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mine totally went curly after puberty also! And I thought I was the only one!! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was always frizzy all of a sudden haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curly! But I didn't really understand that for a long time, because my mom would put it in curlers to kind of smooth it out. Ah, the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think of that movie every time I make pancakes. Sooo tempting to plop a nice uterus shaped pancake on Mark's plate...maybe a fun way to let him know when I'm pregnant? haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS Mel's hair was curly till she got pregnant. Must be hormones that change it!

    ReplyDelete

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.