Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Floral dresses can kill you.




When we were first dating, Dill told me emphatically that he did not like floral prints. On anything. Beds, curtains, pillows, and clothing. They just weren't his cup of herbal tea, I guess.

This one time (also before we were married) we went to Dillard's so I could find a new dress or skirt. I saw this floral dress hanging on a rack: collared, ankle-length, short-sleeved with a few buttons down the bodice and it tied in the back. You know the style I'm talking about, right? It was pretty popular amongst LDS girls for a while, back when sleeved dresses were a rarity. Anyway, I had never tried on a dress like this so I figured that was as good a time as any. Dill wasn't thrilled about it, primarily because it was constructed of floral fabric. But I'm a firm believer that you can't knock something until you try it, so off the rack and into the fitting room with me it went.

One thing you should know about this particular style of dress is that it doesn't come off easily (which I guess adds to the modesty factor). After trying it on and deciding it wasn't for me, I untied the back, undid the buttons and attempted to remove it from my body. I could NOT. Get. It. Off. I tried sliding it off my shoulders and shimmying it down my legs -- no such luck. The fabric was stubborn and wouldn't stretch even slightly. This dress would have to go over my head. But I couldn't get it off that way, either! Every time I tried lifting my arms to shrug it off, I heard the threads loosen and I freaked out. My heart started pounding -- I was stuck in a dress at Dillard's and my boyfriend was going to have to help me out of it. Or I was going to have to buy it, and (surprisingly) it wasn't cheap. Both rather unfavorable situations, if you ask me.

I decided it'd be less embarrassing to ask Dill for help rather than call a store employee. Thankfully, I had left my camisole on underneath the dress. Then, I had the genius idea of putting my pants back on so at least he wouldn't get to see my underoos. Once I was sufficiently decent, I called Dill into the fitting room and told him of my plight. Mind you, we were still new at this dating thing and I was beyond humiliated. I wondered if a knack for getting tangled up in bad clothing was a deal-breaker for him. But he was a good sport (duh) and helped me out of that strangling dress. And we got married anyway, despite the fact I have gotten stuck in several more shirts and dresses since then.

But I learned my lesson: floral prints can be dangerous.

Recently, they've made a comeback and I'm totally on board (as you can see by the pictures). And for the most part, so is Dill -- as long as it's "the right kind of floral" (whatever that means). But I always make sure every article of clothing has an easy escape route before trying it on. ALWAYS. Because few things are scarier than being strangled by a dress at a store. I would know.

Question of the Day: Have you ever gotten stuck in an article of clothing?

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I HAVE gotten stuck! We were at the Asian Gifts store at the St. George mall and I tried on a gorgeous red dress that of course didn't fit because I'm all curvy and round instead of a tiny Chinese woman, and I also got stuck! My fiance (at the time) had to help me out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly the type of dress you're talking about. Straight from page 6 of the Strength for Youth pamphlet lol (I don't really know if that's the right page). I used to be anti floral but now I LOVE them. But I agree with Dill, it has to be the RIGHT floral, whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I broke my collar bone playing ultimate frisbee when DH and I were dating. I was stinky and sweaty and had to change, but couldn't move my arm. I should have gotten Rust to help, it was a tight undershirt and I had to cut it off of me. I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always called them "Jody Dresses" because the major manufacturer was a brand called "Jody." Haha.

    I'm with Dill and Mandyface about the right floral. It's kind of like the "it factor," it's hard to define but when you see it, you know.

    I totally got stuck in a dress at H&M once. I squeezed my not-so-tiny chest into it ... and then couldn't un-squeeze it. I had to get my mom to come in and help me squish out of it. hahaha. SO EMBARRASSING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Too funny. I like Days 26 and 27 here by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have totally been stuck in a dress and also in Dillards! I didn't have anyone to help me and thought for sure I was going to be stuck forever or rip it getting it off. Completely panicked, I had to relax and take it VERY slow to finally get out. Not a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! That is funny. I think we have all gotten stuck in clothing at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup. Why on earth can they go on but not come off? I had a dress like that too, back in '03 or so. It was purple and yes, floral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story is so funny!yes.i do get stuck time to time but luckily i have successfuly alone. I like your shoes on the 3rd photo. Am a mom blogger too.i hope we can be blogger friends.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha I love this post - we seriously need to go shopping together because I'm always clueless how to 'match' but not 'match' things together without being too matchy-matchy which is the rut I get stuck into.

    ReplyDelete

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.