Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Random thoughts, mostly about drugs.

Sometimes, my cute blogger-friend Lauren does these "random thoughts" posts on her blog and I thought I'd get on board with that brilliant idea. I have a lot of little things to say but none of them are really important enough for a whole post. So here we go!

1) It's concert week, which means everything that can go wrong must go wrong. Including the fact that I am now on steroids (more on that in Random Thought #2) and my car is dead. I am hoping the battery just needs to be jumped back to life. Otherwise, I'm pretty screwed.

2) So I've had this shoulder problem for about a year now. It started with the left shoulder -- really intense, shooting, burning, CONSTANT pain, worst when I sleep. Now it's in the right one. Last year, I saw a chiropractor and a massage therapist for the left one and it did help, but not all that quickly. I had a 2-month lull with no pain and then it came back with a vengeance in the right shoulder about a week ago. We're talking, weeping-into-my-pillow pain. I know that's the third time I've used that pillow-weeping reference in the past week but I mean it literally this time. I was actually awake all night weeping into my pillow and wishing I could die, that's how badly it hurt. I decided to see a doctor on Monday, and she put me on Medrol, which is a steroid, and also gave me some muscle relaxers for when my shoulder decides to turn into a rock. Which it does sometimes.

3) For the record, " 'roid rage" is real. I think I already blogged about how my kids got super-intense and cranky when they were on steroids for their croup. Now I understand why they cried for three straight days! I can't stop sweating. My heart is pounding -- not racing, just beating loudly enough I can hear it. The good news is the drugs give me a ton of energy and I have cleaned the whole house twice since Monday. The bad news is when people decide to mess up my cleaning, I have to physically remove myself from the room so I don't hurt someone.

I feel bad for the girls who'll be standing next to me in the concert. Feel free to bring a tranquilizer gun, Natalie. I know you'll have the guts to knock me out should I become violent.

4) Oh yeah, and the muscle relaxers ... All I have to say is, I'd make a funny drunk. That stuff had me laughing up a storm for no reason the first time I took it. I decided to wait to swallow it until the last minute before I went to bed. Good thing, too, because it works pretty quickly. Dill and I were just chatting in bed when I suddenly developed a mad case of the giggles. I was hysterical yet fully aware of the fact I had absolutely nothing to laugh about. It was like one part of my brain was saying, "Go to sleep! Calm the flip down! You're embarrassing me ..." and the other side was like, "But it's just SO. FUNNAY when your legs feel like Jell-O! Wa-HOOOOOOO!!!!!1!!1

In short, "hugs not drugs" for this girl.

5 comments:

  1. I've taken steroids for my asthma and the worst part is the intense hunger for me. I also know about the chronic pain thing. It really sucks. Hope you're able to get your shoulders feeling better. Pain that won't go away can literally drive one insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken steroids for my asthma and the worst part is the intense hunger for me. I also know about the chronic pain thing. It really sucks. Hope you're able to get your shoulders feeling better. Pain that won't go away can literally drive one insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahaha, that's hilarious (not the shooting pain part of course).
    I recently had surgery and was given quite a bit of morphine before and then heavy narcodics for pain afterwards. I'd be one of those drunks that gets so out of it they can't follow any conversations and then pass out in a corner. haha
    Me when I'm super tired however? That's when the giggle fests start. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had really bad shoulder pains since I was pregnant with Enoch (so that would be just over 4 years?), but only when I sleep. (And obviously nothing with your intensity - poor you!) I finally figured out that for me, it has to do with the way I sleep. Apparently I started slumping my shoulders in when I sleep? So if I stretch before bed (no joke) and then try to sleep with good posture (also no joke) mine is much improved. Strange. I hope you/your docs figure out how to fix yours!

    ps. I'd love to see you on muscle relaxants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the case of the giggles with lidocaine at the dentist..so I hear you on the giggles. As for the shoulder pain, that is the worst!! Did they recommend physical therapy? It really helps me when my shoulders/neck act up from a bulging disc!

    ReplyDelete

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.