Sunday, December 6, 2015

Unto us, a Son is given.

Did December sneak up on anyone else, or just me? We've been riding a non-stop roller coaster at break-neck speed all year. It began with finding out my mom has stage 4 breast cancer and ended with Dill spraining his ankle and Audrey breaking her elbow. In the middle of it all, we sold our first home, got some ear tubes for Clara, moved in with my parents for three weeks, bought our second home, moved out of my parents' house and promptly went on a road trip to California. I reopened my piano and voice studio, Carson started Kindergarten, Audrey began third grade (and piano lessons) and Clara learned to walk!

It has been both exhilarating and terrifying at times. And now, the end is in sight.

Through all the disappointments, triumphs, laughter and tears of 2015, one person has remained a constant source of light and love -- my Savior, Jesus Christ. How interesting it is that we celebrate His miraculous birth as the sun sets on each year. It's as if He is finishing the race with me. He's never left my side.

I love this video of children all over the world in their native lands, quoting the words of Isaiah when he prophesied: "For unto us a child is born; unto us, a Son is given."


He really was born FOR us, given TO us by our loving Heavenly Father. He redeems us from all our shortcomings, He succors us in our times of need, He reaches out to rescue us -- no matter who we are, where we are or what we are.

As the Christmas season gets undoubtedly busy, chaotic and loud, remember whose birth we are celebrating, and don't forget to give the simple gifts He has asked of us:

Obedience to God's commandments.

Pure love and service to all mankind.

To share our light with the world.

In reality, these are also the greatest gifts we can give ourselves and others, too. So simple, so pure, so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.