Friday, July 7, 2017

Friday Favorites: CommercialSilk.com

Prior to last year, I had never had a live houseplant that survived for more than a week or two. But death has a way of bringing plants into your life. Did you know? No one had ever warned me about this. Let it be known: if you lose someone close to you, you'll probably become the adoptee of many green children. It's both heartwarming and also a little frightening.When Dillon's grandfather unexpectedly passed away last year, we inherited his corn plant. It is quite a mature plant and is about five feet tall now, more like a tree. At the time, it was fairly neglected, but I could tell it had some life in it and that it would make a lovely addition to our home, so I accepted it with open arms. It happens to be one of the most low-maintenance plants on earth, requiring only about two cups of water every few weeks and very little sun. And it really does liven up its little corner of the house.

Then, my mom died six months ago, and many people gave me lovely houseplants as bereavement gifts. As such, our plant family size tripled in a few days. This was an unexpected aspect of bereavement that I hadn't anticipated. All these plants are beautiful, and keeping them alive is like keeping Grandpa's and my mom's memories alive, in a way. Actually, when I think of them wilting and dying I feel the beginnings of a panic attack so I guess you could say I'm doing really well these days hahahaha

It's fine, I'm fine.

Anyway.


The plant-growing has been going so well, I decided to add a few more live plants of my own -- a small cactus with an orange ball on top, and a spiky, tall-ish thing from IKEA which we named K.K. Slider. All are currently alive and thriving, and I am officially a Crazy Plant Lady.

I have spoken to many people over the years who say plant husbandry (?) is just not for them, that they have a black thumb and a real knack for killing houseplants of all kinds, even succulents. And to you, I say, know your strengths. Don't force it. Just invest in some quality artificial plants. No one will care. But people WILL care if you boast about how you ruthlessly kill plants, so going the silk route is a smart move if you want to protect your reputation, too. Wink, wink.

In fact, even though I do pretty well with houseplants, I still own several fakies that get the job done. So when CommercialSilk.com reached out and asked me to review a 3-foot Sansevieria, I couldn't pass it up. I've been looking for one of these for a long time! The usually don't look real enough for me, but this one definitely passes the test.





As you can see, the light even passes through it in a realistic way! And it feels soft and rubbery to the touch, too, as a real snake plant would. I also like the way they styled the mulch so that it hides the fact the plant is fake but it isn't overdone.

I could see this plant really classing up a boring office space, too. And CommercialSilk.com definitely has that arena covered! They've got everything from small tabletop plants to full-sized trees. So, if you're a business owner who doesn't want to deal with watering and cleaning up after plants (YES THEY CAN BE SO MESSY, WHO KNEW) in addition to your numerous responsibilities at the office, definitely consider checking this site out.

Alright, dear readers. Do you own any live houseplants? Do you sing to them? Have you named them? Do you consider yourself a Crazy Plant Person? Should we start a support group?

This post was written in exchanged for product. All opinions are mine, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.