Thursday, June 4, 2009

'Twas only a bug bite.

Yes, that disgusting pustule on my face was nothing more than a bug bite which I had "allowed" to get infected when I popped it with the needle (whoops). Doc gave me some high-powered antibacterial ointment and it's shrunken quite a bit. And he also told me to, and I quote, "Keep [my] fingers out of it because they're dirty."

Thanks, Doc. I'll remember that from now on.

In the meantime, we're dealing with additional skin issues here at La Casa Loca; Dill has recently been diagnosed with skin cancer. On his proboscis. Which is not surprising, because his proboscis is very large and protrudes quite a bit. And it has a large bump on the bridge, which happens to be the precise location of said skin cancer.

So, the lesson today is this: if you have a large nose, put sunscreen on it.

*Don't think I'm insulting my husband's face. He is extremely handsome and wears that large nose very well. Don't believe me? See for yourself.



It all began in February. I noticed at some point that Dill had what appeared to be a large ZIT on the bridge of his nose (now you see why I was so worried about that bug bite?). No worries, I thought. It will go away.

Months passed, and the zit came and went ... and came and went, several times. I should have been worried then, but I was more concerned with surviving my internship.

Last month, I noticed the zit-thing was still hanging out on Dill's nose and decided to call the dermatologist. I'd never known a zit with a life span longer than a few weeks at most, and this thing was going on four months.

Doctor took one look at it and said, "It's cancer."

After its initial removal and a biopsy, the doctor concluded it's basal cell carcinoma (which isn't as bad as melanoma) and Dill will have to undergo more surgery to have it all removed. Basically, that sucker wasn't planning to check out from the Hotel D' Nez any time soon.

So, we're a little sad around here and wishing it wasn't true, but my husband is a skin cancer victim.

WEAR SUNSCREEN. I can't say it enough. Folks, the sun -- it's out there. And it is no respecter of persons. It will burn dark-haired people like Dill and it will burn fair-skinned blondies like myself. Don't assume that since you have olive skin, you can't get skin cancer. BECAUSE YOU CAN.

Better to be safe than sorry, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback almost as much as I like food.